Jah Cure attempted murder acquittal appealed by prosecutors
The Public Prosecution Service in the Netherlands has appealed reggae artiste Jah Cure’s acquittal for attempted murder.
Press Officer for the Netherlands Public Prosecution Service, Frank Wattimena, told THE STAR that an appeal had been submitted to the Court of Appeal in Amsterdam yesterday. “We’ve lodged an appeal against the acquittal for attempted murder,” said Wattimena.
The entertainer, whose given name is Siccaturie Alcock, was sentenced to six years for attempted manslaughter. Following the sentencing, Jah Cure’s attorney Jan-Hein Kuijpers said he would discuss the verdict with his client “to see if an appeal is useful”.
In the Netherlands, both the prosecutor and the defence have up to two weeks to submit an appeal to the Court of Appeal if they disagree with the court’s ruling.
Last October, Jah Cure was detained by police in the city centre of Utrecht following a stabbing incident at Dam Square involving him and concert promoter and owner of Roots Vibes Promotion, Nicardo ‘Papa’ Blake. He was arraigned on October 5 before an examining judge on suspicion of attempted manslaughter, aggravated assault or attempted aggravated assault and later faced a number of charges, including attempted murder.
During a public hearing on March 8, the prosecution argued that Jah Cure’s action was premeditated and had asked the Court of Amsterdam to convict the 43-year-old entertainer of attempted murder, and that he be put away for eight years with credit for time served. In court, Jah Cure claimed self-defence, but it was rejected by the panel of judges.
Jah Cure was found not guilty of attempted murder and convicted for attempted manslaughter.
The prosecution is now challenging the ruling in hopes that the court will reconsider the attempted murder charge and have the case reheard in the Court of Appeal. However, no date has been set for a hearing.
Like and share this article if you enjoyed! 🙂