Mum burnt during delivery awarded $100,000 by High Court
A 34-year-old Valencia mum whose upper body was partially burnt by flames at the Sangre Grande Hospital six years ago during delivery, has been awarded approximately $100,000 by the High Court.
The judgment was delivered by High Court Master Martha Alexander yesterday.
“In the view of this court, the entire burning incident was an unfortunate incident. That a patient under the charge of a team of doctors could have sustained burns during the procedure was shocking to say the least,” she said.
Clarisia James and her attorneys Martin George and Company had filed a High Court action against the Eastern Regional Health Authority (ERHA), which manages the hospital, and the ERHA was found to be negligent in the matter.
The matter was sent to the High Court master for assessment of damages.
During the hearing, James gave evidence that on March 16, 2016, she was being prepared for a Caesarian Section in the operating theatre at the hospital when the incident occurred.
The expectant mother was administered spinal anaesthesia (otherwise known as a spinal block) in preparation for the surgical procedure.
She said while at the operating theatre, too much rubbing alcohol was applied to her abdominal region in preparation for surgery.
She said she heard the nurses commenting on this at the start of the procedure.
An instrument used by the medical team performing the surgical procedure sparked, setting ablaze the drapery that were creating the sterile field in the operating theatre.
The fire burned the front of the surgical first assistant’s gown and parts of the expectant mother’s upper body.
James suffered burns to the left side of her stomach, on her left chest below her breast, to the lower abdomen and on her left lateral thigh.
Court awards mom $.1m for burns Trinidad & Tobago Express Newspapers